By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Today's Top 10
1. Head Safety: This report from State Champs! was produced earlier this month and continues to re-air, providing a thorough report on what’s being done to prevent head injuries in Michigan high school athletics.
2. Boys Tennis: Battle Creek Lakeview and No. 1 singles player Jai Banerji both repeated as Battle Creek All-City champions; Lakeview won seven flights – Battle Creek Enquirer
3. Volleyball: Midland won every set it played Thursday against a solid field in claiming the Cadillac Invitational title, downing the host in the final – Midland Daily News
4. Coaching: Traverse City West athletic director Jason Carmien, formerly a soccer coach, writes about how he’ll always be a coach at heart and why others should give it a try – Traverse City Record-Eagle
5. Girls Golf: Lake Orion shot a 328 to win the Troy Invitational, nine strokes better than runner-up Midland Dow – Midland Daily News
6. Girls Golf: Saline broke its nine-hole school record with a 149, thanks in part to a hole-in-one by Sydney Page – Saline Post
7. Volleyball: Pittsford, after graduating all-stater Maddie Clark this spring, took a nice step Thursday with wins over Hillsdale and Michigan Center – Hillsdale Daily News
8. Volleyball: Sault Ste. Marie won a key Great Northern Conference match, sweeping Marquette – Sault Ste. Marie Evening News
9. Boys Soccer: Port Huron Northern opened its season with an impressive tie with Marysville, which moved to 5-1-1 – Port Huron Times-Herald
10. Boys Soccer: Spring Lake earned its first win this season, downing rival Fruitport 3-1 – Grand Haven Tribune