By John Johnson
MHSAA Director of Broadcast Properties
More than 40 Michigan high school games are scheduled to be streamed live online over the next week, produced by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members on the NFHS Network.
In its ninth year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events, with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics. The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
All sporting events – live or delayed - are available on a subscription basis only for their first 72 hours online. They become available for free, on-demand viewing approximately 72 hours following their completion.
Here’s this week’s MHSAA.tv schedule of video streams being produced by SBP members:
Tuesday, Sept. 5
Wednesday, Sept. 6
Thursday, Sept. 7
- Freshman Football - Vicksburg at Plainwell, 4:30 p.m.
- Freshman Girls Volleyball - Chassell at Calumet, 4:30 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball - Sparta at Comstock Park, 5 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball - Marlette at Otisville Lakeville, 5 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball - Chassell at Calumet, 5:30 p.m.
- Freshman Football - Corunna at Freeland, 6 p.m.
- Varsity Girls Volleyball - Sparta at Comstock Park, 6 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Football - Vicksburg at Plainwell, 6:15 p.m.
- Varsity Girls Volleyball - Chassell at Calumet, 6:30 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Football - Kingsford at Norway, 6:30 p.m.
- Varsity Girls Volleyball - Marlette at Otisville Lakeville, 6:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 8
Saturday, Sept. 9
Monday, Sept. 11
Tuesday, Sept. 12
Wednesday, Sept. 13
NFHS Network subscriptions begin at $9.95 per month. Subscribers will have access to all live video and streaming statistics across the country. All content becomes available for free, on- demand viewing 72 hours after being shown live. School Broadcast Program participants will also be selling Season and Annual Passes at a discounted rate. A portion of every subscription sold by a school goes to benefit its program.
A complete list of participating schools can be found on the School Broadcast Program page of the MHSAA website.
Highlights of games produced in the past week by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members are in their second week. Featured games are in football with Calumet at Negaunee, Indian River Inland Lakes at Rogers City, and our first football highlights from a Pixellot school – Ishpeming at Norway. Highlights can be found each week on the MHSAA.tv website, the home page of the MHSAA Website, and the MHSAASports Channel on YouTube.
More than 15 football games are featured each week on the State Champs! Sports Network Extra Point – powered by the Michigan High School Athletic Association – Saturday at 10 a.m. on FOX Sports Detroit.
The half-hour program features highlights from more than a dozen games each week, including clips from games produced by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members. The program airs multiple times each weekend on FOX Sports Detroit and on Comcast Channel 900, and will be archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
Here is the projected list of games to be featured on this week’s edition of MHSAA Extra Point:
- Detroit Denby at Detroit Central
- East Grand Rapids at Lowell
- Flat Rock at Milan
- Macomb L'Anse Creuse North at New Baltimore Anchor Bay
- Bloomfield Hills at Clarkston
- Rochester Hills Stoney Creek at Farmington Hills Harrison
- West Bloomfield at Lake Orion
- Houghton Lake at Clare
- Sturgeon Bay at Norway
- Plus additional games from the Grand Rapids and Lansing areas, Northern Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula.
The MHSAA also has a presence on other State Champs! Network programs throughout each weekend. The MHSAA Minute is a weekly part of the State Champs! High School Sports Show on FOX Sports Detroit at 9 a.m. every Sunday – with multiple replays on FOX Sports Detroit and Comcast Channel 900 throughout the week. That program also is archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
This week’s MHSAA Minute is the third of a three-part series on football rules changes for 2017, with this edition talking primarily about face guarding and defensive pass interference.
The MHSAA also has content on the State Champs Scoreboard! High School Football Radio Show on Friday nights during the football and basketball seasons, originating on WXYT-FM (97.1) in Detroit and carried on more than 10 radio stations across the state. This Week In High School Sports and Be the Referee are weekly features on the program.