By John Johnson
MHSAA Director of Broadcast Properties
As we hit the home stretch of the regular season in football, MHSAA.tv will play host to key games produced by MHSAA member schools participating in the School Broadcast Program.
Topping this week’s list of nearly 50 events is an Ottawa-Kent Conference Blue matchup with Grand Rapids West Catholic playing at Comstock Park on Friday (Sept. 29) at 7 p.m. The two teams are tied with Grand Rapids Catholic Central atop the Blue at 2-0 and have overall records of 4-1. Comstock Park was ranked ninth last week in The Associated Press Division 4 poll, while West Catholic was No. 1 in Division 5.
In its ninth year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events, with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics. The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
Here’s this week’s MHSAA.tv schedule of video streams being produced by SBP members:
Tuesday, Sept. 26
- JV Girls Volleyball - Spring Lake at Comstock Park, 5 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Ontonagon at Dollar Bay, 5 p.m.
- Freshman Girls Volleyball - Gabriel Richard at Macomb Lutheran North, 5:30 p.m.
- JV Girls Volleyball – Stanton Central Montcalm at Fremont, 5:30 p.m.
- JV Girls Volleyball - Gabriel Richard at Macomb Lutheran North, 5:30 p.m.
- Boys Soccer - Belding at Wyoming Lee, 6 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Chassell at Lake Linden-Hubbell, 6 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Spring Lake at Comstock Park, 6 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Ashley at Vestaburg, 7 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Clarkston at Lake Orion, 7 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Gabriel Richard at Macomb Lutheran North, 7 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Stanton Central Montcalm at Fremont, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 27
Thursday, Sept. 28
- Freshman Football - Edwardsburg at Plainwell, 4:30 p.m.
- Freshman Football - Alma at Freeland, 4:30 p.m.
- JV Girls Volleyball - Grand Rapids West Catholic at Comstock Park, 5 p.m.
- Freshman Girls Volleyball - Durand at Otisville Lakeville, 6 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Grand Rapids West Catholic at Comstock Park, 6 p.m.
- JV Football - Alma at Freeland, 6 p.m.
- JV Girls Volleyball - Durand at Otisville Lakeville, 6 p.m.
- JV Football - Edwardsburg at Plainwell, 6:15 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - L'Anse at Calumet, 6:30 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball - Durand at Otisville Lakeville, 6:30 p.m.
- JV Football - Munising at Norway, 6:30 p.m.
- Boys Soccer – Lowell at Cedar Springs, 6:45 p.m.
- Boys Soccer - Kingsford at Marquette, 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 29
Saturday, Sept. 30
Monday, Oct. 2
Tuesday, Oct. 3
Wednesday, Oct. 4
NFHS Network subscriptions begin at $9.95 per month. Subscribers will have access to all live video and streaming statistics across the country. All content becomes available for free, on- demand viewing 72 hours after being shown live. School Broadcast Program participants will also be selling Season and Annual Passes at a discounted rate. A portion of every subscription sold by a school goes to benefit its program.
A complete list of participating schools can be found on the School Broadcast Program page of the MHSAA website.
Highlights of games produced in the past week by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members are in their fourth week. Featured events are in football with Hudsonville Unity Christian at Comstock Park, girls volleyball with Lake Fenton at Otisville Lakeville and in girls swimming & diving with Holt at East Lansing. Highlights can be found each week on the MHSAA.tv website, the home page of the MHSAA Website, and the MHSAASports Channel on YouTube.
More than 15 football games are featured each week on the State Champs! Sports Network Extra Point – powered by the Michigan High School Athletic Association – Saturday at 10 a.m. on FOX Sports Detroit.
The half-hour program features highlights from more than a dozen games each week, including clips from games produced by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members. The program airs multiple times each weekend on FOX Sports Detroit and on Comcast Channel 900, and will be archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
Here are some of the games to be featured this week on State Champs! Extra Point:
- White Lake Lakeland at Walled Lake Western
- Kalamazoo Loy Norrix at Mattawan
- Belleville at Dearborn Fordson
- Canton at Livonia Stevenson
- Detroit Cody at Detroit Cass Tech
- Melvindale at Woodhaven
- PLUS - Additional coverage from Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, Upper Peninsula and School Broadcast Program games.
The MHSAA also has a presence on other State Champs! Network programs throughout each weekend. The MHSAA Minute is a weekly part of the State Champs! High School Sports Show on FOX Sports Detroit at 9 a.m. every Sunday – with multiple replays on FOX Sports Detroit and Comcast Channel 900 throughout the week. That program also is archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
This week’s MHSAA Minute on State Champs talks about the MHSAA Student Advisory Council.
The MHSAA also has content on the State Champs Scoreboard! High School Football Radio Show on Friday nights during the football and basketball seasons, originating on WXYT-FM (97.1) in Detroit and carried on more than 10 radio stations across the state. This Week In High School Sports and Be the Referee are weekly features on the program.