By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
1. Volleyball: Division 4 No. 3 Leland came back from losing the first set to down Division 2 No. 9 Kingsley in five – Traverse City Record-Eagle
2. Boys Soccer: Division 1 No. 7 Canton avenged an early-season loss to No. 5 Salem by handing the Rocks their first defeat, 3-2 – Observer & Eccentric
3. Cross Country: The Lower Peninsula top-ranked Northville girls and No. 2 Brighton boys won big league races against ranked competition – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
4. Boys Soccer: Division 3 No. 5 Ludington took a significant step in Lakes 8 Conference play with a 2-1 win over Division 4 No. 3 Muskegon Western Michigan Christian – Ludington Daily News
5. Cross Country: Marquette’s Upper Peninsula Division 1 top-ranked teams continued to dominate, sweeping championships at the Kingsford Invitational – Iron Mountain Daily News
6. Boys Soccer: Cadillac downed host Petoskey 1-0, earning its first road win over the Northmen in at least 10 years – Cadillac News
7. Volleyball: Division 2 No. 2 Pontiac Notre Dame swept Bloomfield Hills and Troy Athens to improve to 23-5 – Oakland Press
8. Volleyball: Schoolcraft, No. 3 in Division 3, shut down league rival Kalamazoo Christian – WWMT
9. Girls Swimming & Diving: Spring Lake, an honorable mention in Lower Peninsula Division 3, edged Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern by nine points – Grand Haven Tribune
10. Cross Country: Romeo swept Macomb Area Conference Red races at the latest league event – Macomb Daily
Also of note ...
Boys Basketball: Longtime Clarkston coach Dan Fife announced his retirement. He's the third-winningest coach in the sport in MHSAA history and led the Wolves to the last two Class A titles – Oakland Press