By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Lower Peninsula Girls Golf, Boys Tennis and Upper Peninsula Cross Country Finals dominated the non-football headlines this weekend, and you'll find coverage of all on Second Half. Today's "Today" list instead includes 10 headliners of note from District boys soccer, league volleyball and LP cross country.
1. Boys Soccer: Unranked Utica Ford upset top-ranked Troy Athens 1-0 to win a Division 1 District title – Macomb Daily
2. Boys Soccer: No. 2 Grand Rapids Christian downed No. 5 Holland Christian 4-1 in a Division 2 District Final – Holland Christian
3. Boys Soccer: No. 5 Detroit Catholic Central prevailed in a Division 1 District Final 3-2 in overtime over No. 9 Novi – Observer & Eccentric
4. Volleyball: Division 3 No. 9 North Muskegon downed Division 2 No. 10 Whitehall to win the West Michigan Conference Tournament championship and a share of the overall league title – Local Sports Journal
5. Boys Soccer: Griffin Doran’s goal gave Haslett a 1-0 Division 2 win over DeWitt and its first District boys soccer title since 1999 – Lansing State Journal
6. Boys Soccer: Division 4 No. 3 Kalamazoo Hackett won its eighth straight District title, downing Battle Creek Calhoun Christian – JoeInsider.com
7. Cross Country: Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart swept championships at the annual Class D championship meet; both teams are ranked No. 2 in LPD4 – Mount Pleasant Morning Sun
8. Volleyball: Division 3 honorable mention Muskegon Western Michigan Christian came back multiple times to get past Ludington and win the Lakes 8 Conference Tournament – Local Sports Journal
9. Cross Country: The Hudson girls (LPD4 T-No. 10) and Erie-Mason boys clinched Lenawee County Athletic Association championships – Adrian Daily Telegram
10. Boys Soccer: Muskegon Orchard View outlasted rival Oakridge 5-4 to claim a Division 3 District championship – Local Sports Journal