By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Hockey tops today’s list as a pair of contending teams from the southeastern part of the Lower Peninsula met in a rematch from last season’s Division 3 playoffs.
1. Hockey: Brownstown Woodhaven avenged last season’s Regional Final loss to Riverview Gabriel Richard with a 5-1 win – Southgate News-Herald
2. Boys Basketball: JJ Popp had a triple-double with 14 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists as Leland opened with a 78-35 win over Mesick – Traverse City Record-Eagle
3. Hockey: Petoskey improved to 3-0 with a 6-1 win over Traverse City Central – Petoskey News-Review
4. Boys Basketball: Unionville-Sebewaing extended its regular-season winning streak to 22 with a 63-37 opening win over Sandusky – Huron Daily Tribune
5. Boys Basketball: Dearborn Heights Crestwood hung on for a 44-39 win over Melvindale – Southgate News-Herald
6. Hockey: Midland Dow scored three goals over the final two periods to pull away for a 4-1 win over Bay City – Midland Daily News
7. Hockey: Brennan Clark had three points as Holland West Ottawa downed Jenison/Zeeland 4-1 – Holland Sentinel
8. Boys Basketball: Pellston continued its high-scoring ways with a 73-64 win over Harbor Springs – Petoskey News-Review
9. Boys Basketball: Bridgeport opened with an 85-38 win over Flint International, while Carrollton held off Reese by three – Saginaw News
10. Boys Basketball: Alpena earned a big road win at Sault Ste. Marie to improve to 2-0 – Alpena News