By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Cadillac boys bowling, Grand Rapids Christian and New Haven boys basketball and Houghton hockey were among those putting up weekend performances indicating they’ll be among the state’s elite again this winter.
1. Boys Bowling: Cadillac won the Big North Conference championship for the second straight season (the league title is determined by an early-season tournament) – Cadillac News
2. Boys Basketball: Grand Rapids Christian edged Wyoming Godwin Heights 60-59 in a matchup of annual powers – WZZM
3. Boys Basketball: Romeo Weems scored 27 as New Haven downed Detroit U-D Jesuit at the Calihan Challenge – Macomb Dakota
4. Hockey: Division 3 No. 6 Houghton held on for a 6-5 win over Traverse City Central – Houghton Daily Mining Gazette
5. Boys Basketball: Saginaw downed host Lansing Everett and Bridgeport defeated Detroit Henry Ford to highlight the Moneyball Invitational – Saginaw News
6. Boys Basketball: Marquette downed Petoskey 53-31 to finish a weekend sweep at the Petoskey Invitational – Marquette Mining Journal
7. Bowling: Freshman Arianna Janik and Brenden Childress gave Hudson a championship sweep for the second straight season at the Onsted Wildcat Blast-Off – Adrian Daily Telegram
8. Hockey: Alpena moved to 6-0 with a 4-2 win over Petoskey, which also is off to a strong start – Alpena News
9. Boys Basketball: Iron Mountain came back from a seven-point halftime deficit to down Negaunee 50-41 – Iron Mountain Daily News
10. Hockey: The Traverse City Bay Reps co-op continued its perfect start with a 6-2 win over Grand Haven – MI Sports Now