By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Girls basketball season tipped off Monday and today’s list is dominated by hoops, led by a last-second game-winning shot in the northern Lower Peninsula.
1. Boys Basketball: Skyler Spangler’s buzzer beating-shot gave Central Lake a 58-56 win over Ellsworth – Traverse City Record-Eagle
2. Girls Basketball: Dajanee Cox scored 27 points as Detroit Henry Ford opened with a 52-42 win over Detroit Public Safety – Detroit News
3. Girls Basketball: Flint Carman-Ainsworth began a season carrying high expectations with a 67-19 win over Lapeer – WJRT
4. Girls Basketball: Lake City won the first girls game in its new gym, 68-28 over Harrison – MI Sports Now
5. Boys Basketball: Midland Dow avenged last season’s loss to Beaverton with a 71-49 win – Midland Daily News
6. Hockey: Escanaba came back from an early two-goal deficit to get past Negaunee 6-5 – Escanaba Daily Press
7. Girls Basketball: Kingsford opened with an impressive 56-45 win over Ishpeming – The Upbeat
8. Girls Basketball: After leading by a point at halftime, Reading built a 22-0 run on the way to a 69-43 win over Camden-Frontier – Hillsdale Daily News
9. Boys Basketball: Lincoln Alcona made 8 of 12 free throws in the fourth quarter to pull past AuGres-Sims 62-56 – Alpena News
10. Boys Basketball: Kinde-North Huron rode a 23-2 third-quarter run to pull away from Owendale-Gagetown – Huron Daily Tribune