By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
The basketball weekend got its start Thursday with a number of games across the state, but make sure to also check out a video look back at a memorable event from the last day of the MHSAA fall season.
1. Girls Basketball: Alpena came back from a 14-point halftime deficit to down Gaylord 48-45 – Alpena News
2. Girls Basketball: Bay City Western earned new coach Brian Merritt his first win, 45-41 over Midland – Bay City Times
3. Boys Basketball: Sanford Meridian improved to 4-0 with a 58-27 win over league rival Beaverton – Saginaw News
4. Girls Basketball: Mackinaw City earned its 10th straight win over rival Pellston, 59-29 – Petoskey News-Review
5. Boys Basketball: McBain won a matchup of annual northern contenders 67-48 over Boyne City – Cadillac News
6. Girls Basketball: North Muskegon outlasted Shelby 46-40 in overtime – Local Sports Journal
7. Girls Basketball: Muskegon Oakridge ran its league winning streak to 79 with a 44-24 victory over Montague – Muskegon Chronicle
8. Girls Basketball: Harbor Beach earned a solid victory over Unionville-Sebewaing, 37-23 – Huron Daily Tribune
9. Girls Basketball: Maple City Glen Lake opened its season with a 47-29 win over Elk Rapids – WPBN
10. Girls Basketball: Walled Lake Northern earned a 47-30 win over North Farmington – Oakland Press
Also of note …
Football: This season’s 11-Player Finals weekend at Ford Field for the first time included an exhibition played by four Special Olympics Unified flag football teams – and Special Olympics Michigan produced a wonderful recap celebrating the day.