By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
A matchup of hockey rivals tops the list of Monday’s most intriguing results that also includes girls and boys basketball, wrestling and girls and boys bowling action to kick off the week – plus a notable football coaching hire in the mid-Michigan area.
1. Hockey: Portage Central downed rival Portage Northern 5-2 to reclaim the Canoe Trophy – JoeInsider.com
2. Boys Basketball: Brimley improved to 4-0 with a 90-70 win over Mackinaw City – MI Sports Now
3. Boys Basketball: Pontiac remained undefeated with a 61-53 win over Mount Clemens – Oakland Press
4. Boys Basketball: Ironwood came back to remain unbeaten with a 62-59 win over Washburn, Wis. – The Upbeat
5. Girls Basketball: Kelsey Richards scored all 20 of her points in the first half of Fruitport Calvary Christian’s big win over Muskegon Heights – Muskegon Chronicle
6. Boys Basketball: Lincoln Alcona led by as many as 29 before completing a 60-55 win over Posen – Alpena News
7. Boys Basketball: Kory Henigan’s 30 points led Hillman in a big win over Whittemore-Prescott – WBKB
8. Bowling: Tecumseh’s girls and boys earned a pair of 27-3 wins over Adrian after sweeping the Baker frames – Adrian Daily Telegram
9. Wrestling: Escanaba downed Marquette and Iron Mountain for its first team wins of the season – Escanaba Daily Press
10. Boys Bowling: Ethan May bowled a match high 259 to lead Ravenna past Scottville Mason County Central – Local Sports Journal
Also of note …
Football: St. Johns hired alum and former Eastern Michigan University quarterback Andy Schmitt as its new football coach after longtime coach Dave Mariage stepped down – Lansing State Journal