By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
A titanic early-season meet in boys swimming & diving set the tone for a highlight-filled Tuesday, with our latest list including impressive finishes in girls and boys basketball as well.
1. Boys Swimming & Diving: Midland Dow, No. 5 in Lower Peninsula Division 2, won its annual Pangborn Invitational with 398 points, 15 more than top-ranked Dexter – Midland Daily News
2. Boys Basketball: Grand Rapids Catholic Central came back from a double-digit deficit to down Grand Rapids Christian 50-45 – WOOD TV
3. Boys Swimming & Diving: LPD1 top-ranked Holland West Ottawa continued to shine with a 115-69 win over honorable mention Zeeland – Holland Sentinel
4. Girls Basketball: Bloomfield Hills Marian downed Waterford Kettering 58-31 in a matchup of annual powers – Oakland Press
5. Boys Basketball: Detroit U-D Jesuit got past Grand Blanc 57-44 in a matchup of expected Division 1 contenders – MLive-Detroit
6. Girls Basketball: Saginaw Heritage handed Hartland its first defeat of the season, 55-35 – Saginaw News
7. Girls Basketball: Brighton continued its perfect start with a 53-30 win over Okemos – Livingston Daily Press & Argus
8. Girls Basketball: Adrian Madison held off Hudson 33-30 in a matchup of emerging southeastern teams – Adrian Daily Telegram
9. Boys Basketball: Coloma handed Kalamazoo Christian its first defeat of the season, 73-63 – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium
10. Girls Basketball: Abby Nelson (a member of the MHSAA Student Advisory Council) led Negaunee to a 56-51 road win over Marquette – The Upbeat