By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
The final week before schools head into holiday break got started in record-setting fashion as a pair of the state’s top girls basketball teams combined to score 185 points during a marathon matchup.
1. Girls Basketball: Michigan Center avenged last season’s loss to Williamston as the team’s tied the MHSAA girls basketball record going five overtimes before the Cardinals emerged with a 95-90 victory – Jackson Citizen-Patriot
2. Boys Basketball: Kalamazoo Central extended its league winning streak to 43 with a 62-37 win over rival Battle Creek Central – WWMT
3. Boys Basketball: Chassell downed Dollar Bay 51-42, breaking a six-game losing streak against last season’s Class D semifinalist – The Upbeat
4. Girls Basketball: Iron Mountain sank a free throw during the final minute to get past Calumet 48-47 – Houghton Daily Mining Gazette
5. Girls Basketball: Jaden Berthume scored 26 points as Coleman downed Sanford Meridian – Midland Daily News
6. Boys Basketball: Clare improved to 5-1 by handing McBain its first loss, 53-52 – MI Sports Now
7. Boys Basketball: Adrian Lenawee Christian improved to 4-0 with a 50-33 win over Jonesville – Adrian Daily Telegram
8. Boys Basketball: Pittsford came back from an early deficit to get past Litchfield 68-47 – Hillsdale Daily News
9. Boys Basketball: Emcee Williams scored a career-high 28 points to lead Muskegon Reeths-Puffer past Grand Rapids West Catholic 61-48 – Muskegon Chronicle
10. Girls Basketball: Richland Gull Lake moved to 4-0 with a big win over league foe Kalamazoo Loy Norrix – JoeInsider.com