By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
We kick off today’s list of Wednesday’s headliners with a pair of impressive girls basketball wins and a perfect game on the bowling lanes, and check out as well "The Official Report" featuring MHSAA Executive Director Mark Uyl.
1. Girls Basketball: Detroit Martin Luther King moved to 8-0 by edging rival Cass Tech 56-53 in overtime – Detroit News
2. Girls Basketball: Saginaw Heritage won its eighth straight over Flint Carman-Ainsworth, but it was hardly a cinch as the Hawks held on for a 46-41 win – Saginaw News
3. Bowling: Dallas Casey rolled the first perfect game in Saline history to lead his team to a 29-1 win over Pinckney – Saline Post
4. Boys Basketball: Maple City Glen Lake downed Northwest Conference co-leader Frankfort 66-41 to take an upper hand in the standings – Traverse City Record-Eagle
5. Wrestling: Stevensville Lakeshore won the final six matches to break away from St. Joseph 42-19 – St. Joseph Herald-Palladium
6. Girls Basketball: Manton downed first-place McBain 52-39 in Highland Conference play to take over the league’s top spot – MI Sports Now
7. Hockey: Division 1 No. 6 Farmington United improved to 10-2-1 with a 7-2 win over Bloomfield Hills – Observer & Eccentric
8. Boys Basketball: Gwinn needed just about every second of double overtime but downed Houghton 77-76 – The Upbeat
9. Wrestling: Division 2 No. 9 Tecumseh downed Adrian and Ypsilanti Community in Southeastern Conference White matches – Adrian Daily Telegram
10. Wrestling: Division 4 No. 1 Hudson shut out Brooklyn Columbia Central and nearly did the same to Hillsdale in the Lenawee County Athletic Association – Adrian Daily Telegram
Also of note ...
Officiating: The MHSAA's Mark Uyl, formerly the coordinator of officials before taking over as executive director, discusses officiating. He also has served as one of the most highly-regarded college baseball umpires in the nation – The Official Report