By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Some major volleyball matchups highlighted Thursday’s statewide high school action, with a key soccer matchup and school diving record setter among others of most note.
1. Volleyball: Grand Haven won a matchup of state-ranked teams, the Division 1 No. 8 Buccaneers getting past Division 2 No. 2 Hamilton – FOX 17
2. Volleyball: Midland Dow swept reigning Saginaw Valley League North and Division 1 District champion Mount Pleasant, winning the final two sets both by just two points – Midland Daily News
3. Boys Soccer: Traverse City West handed Division 2 No. 12 Gaylord its first league loss and second overall of this season, 1-0 – Gaylord Herald Times
4. Volleyball: Whitehall earned an impressive win over Division 3 No. 4 Muskegon Western Michigan Christian – FOX 17
5. Girls Swimming & Diving: Dow freshman Emily Krzciok broke a 13-year-old school diving record in helping her Lower Peninsula Division 2 No. 6 Chargers past Bay City Central – Midland Daily News
6. Volleyball: Brownstown Woodhaven opened its new gym with a sweep of Southgate Anderson – Southgate News-Herald
7. Girls Golf: LPD1 No. 7 Ann Arbor Pioneer outshot Skyline and Saline to win a Southeastern Conference Red tri-match – We Love Ann Arbor
8. Boys Soccer: Division 4 No. 4 Royal Oak Shrine continued to advance in its division of the Detroit Catholic League with a 4-0 win over Madison Heights Bishop Foley – Oakland Press
9. Cross Country: The LPD4 No. 9 Pittsford girls and Tekonsha boys won Southern Central Athletic Association jamborees – Sturgis Journal
10. Volleyball: Bark River-Harris remained undefeated with a sweep of Powers North Central – Escanaba Daily Press
Also of note ...
Football: FOX Sports Detroit's "Earning the Letter" series has returned, kicking off with this feature on the 14-player Bay City All Saints football team.