By John Johnson
MHSAA Communications Director
The third week of this summer’s "80s Finals Flashback" series on MHSAA.tv features one of the largest Finals comebacks in girls and boys basketball history.
Great game-winning shots, monumental comebacks and late-game touchdown drives will be featured for nine weeks this summer as part of the Flashbacks series. See the links below for the first two installments, and click to watch this week's on MHSAA.tv. DVDs may be purchased directly from the MHSAA.tv Website – just click the “Get DVD” button below the player.
Week of July 11 – Detroit Cass Tech 52, Saginaw 51 – 1987 Class A Girls Basketball Final – Trailing by 20 with two minutes to play in the third quarter, Detroit Cass Tech rallied to defeat Saginaw, 52-51, in the Class A Final at Grand Valley State University in Allendale. The Technicians held the reigning champion scoreless over the final 4:16, while scoring the final nine points to grab the title. LaTonya Tate finished with 20 points, including the game-winning 3-point field goal with 1:43 remaining. Sheronda Mayo added 14 points, including eight in the fourth quarter. Sentaria Johnson finished with a career-high 20 points for Saginaw.
Also, the championship games of the 2016 MHSAA Boys & Girls Basketball Tournaments, presented by Sparrow Health, will receive encore airings this week on FOX Sports Detroit.
Here’s the complete schedule, with links to the archived games on MHSAA.tv:
Girls Finals – Tuesday (July 12)
- Class D - Pittsford (48) v. Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart (30) - 4 p.m.
- Class A - Warren Cousino (67) v. Detroit Martin Luther King (65) - 6 p.m.
- Class C - Ypsilanti Arbor Prep (52) v. Traverse City St. Francis (37) - 8 p.m.
- Class B - Marshall (51) v. Grand Rapids South Christian (42) - 10 p.m.
Boys Finals – Thursday (July 14)
- Class D - Powers North Central (59) v. Waterford Our Lady (48) - 4 p.m.
- Class A - Detroit U-D Jesuit (69) v. North Farmington (49) - 6 p.m.
- Class C - Flint Beecher (63) v. Grandville Calvin Christian (61) - 8 p.m.
- Class B - Detroit Henry Ford (61) v. Stevensville Lakeshore (47) - 10 p.m.
NOTE: Some portions of the games may be edited out due to time constraints.