By John Johnson
MHSAA Director of Broadcast Properties
Some great early-season football games will be featured this week on the State Champs! Sports Network Extra Point – powered by the Michigan High School Athletic Association – Saturday at 10 a.m. on FOX Sports Detroit.
The half-hour program features highlights from more than a dozen games each week, including clips from games produced by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members. The program airs multiple times each weekend on FOX Sports Detroit and on Comcast Channel 900, and will be archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
Here is the projected list of games to be featured on this week’s edition of MHSAA Extra Point:
- Gibraltar Carlson at Trenton
- Livonia Churchill at Northville
- Detroit Western at Detroit Renaissance
- Gaylord at Hudsonville Unity Christian
- Birmingham Seaholm at Berkley
- East Kentwood at Orchard Lake Saint Mary's
- Macomb Dakota at Utica Eisenhower
- Beal City at Clare
- Inland Lakes at Norway
- South Haven vs. Plainwell
- Comstock Park vs. Wyoming
- Plus additional games from the Grand Rapids, Lansing and Mid-Michigan areas.
The MHSAA also has a presence on other State Champs! Network programs throughout each weekend. The MHSAA Minute is a weekly part of the State Champs! High School Sports Show on FOX Sports Detroit at 9 a.m. every Sunday – with multiple replays on FOX Sports Detroit and Comcast Channel 900 throughout the week. That program also is archived on the State Champs YouTube Channel. Consult your local listings for additional playback times.
This week’s MHSAA Minute is the second of a three-part series on football rules changes for 2017, with this edition talking about pop-up onside kicks.
The MHSAA also has content on the State Champs Scoreboard! High School Football Radio Show on Friday nights during the football and basketball seasons, originating on WXYT-FM (97.1) in Detroit and carried on more than 10 radio stations across the state. This Week In High School Sports and Be The Referee are weekly features on the program.
Highlights of games produced in the past week by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members make their 2017-18 debut this week. Featured games are in football with Traverse City Central hosting Bay City Western and Montrose playing Byron, and a boys soccer match between East Lansing and Haslett. Highlights can be found each week on the MHSAA.tv website, the home page of the MHSAA Website, and the MHSAASports Channel on YouTube.
A limited number of games are being produced this week by MHSAA School Broadcast Program members on the NFHS Network.
In its ninth year, the School Broadcast Program gives members an opportunity to showcase excellence in their schools by creating video programming of athletic and non-athletic events, with students gaining skills in announcing, camera operation, directing/producing and graphics. The program also gives schools the opportunity to raise money through advertising and viewing subscriptions.
All sporting events – live or delayed - are available on a subscription basis only for their first 72 hours online. They become available for free, on-demand viewing approximately 72 hours following their completion.
Here’s this week’s MHSAA.tv schedule of video streams being produced by SBP members:
Tuesday, Aug. 29
- Boys Soccer - Grand Rapids West Catholic at Comstock Park – 6:45 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 30
- Junior Varsity Boys Soccer - Whitehall at Plainwell – 4 p.m.
- Boys Soccer - Whitehall at Plainwell – 6 p.m.
- Freshman Football - Breckenridge at Freeland – 4:30 p.m.
- Junior Varsity Football - Chesaning at Freeland – 6 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 31
- Football - Inland Lakes at Rogers City – 7 p.m.
- Football - South Haven at Plainwell – 7 p.m.
- Football - Grand Haven at Traverse City West – 7 p.m.
- Football - Rochester Adams at Lake Orion – 7 p.m.
- Football - Lake Fenton at Montrose – 7 p.m.
- Football - Wyoming at Comstock Park – 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 1
Tuesday, Sept. 5
- Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball - Burton Bentley at Otisville Lakeville
- Varsity Girls Volleyball - Burton Bentley at Otisville Lakeville
- Varsity Boys Soccer - Coopersville at Comstock Park
Wednesday, Sept. 6
- Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball - Caro at Freeland
NFHS Network subscriptions begin at $9.95 per month. Subscribers will have access to all live video and streaming statistics across the country. All content becomes available for free, on- demand viewing 72 hours after being shown live. School Broadcast Program participants will also be selling Season and Annual Passes at a discounted rate. A portion of every subscription sold by a school goes to benefit its program.
A complete list of participating schools can be found on the School Broadcast Program page of the MHSAA website.