By Geoff Kimmerly
Second Half editor
Each weekday of the school year, we break down the top headlines courtesy of Michigan’s sports media.
Girls Volleyball Districts rolled on with a rivalry renewed in Division 2 and an MHSAA record tied in Division 3, along with a cross country county championship sweep from a busy Tuesday.
1. Volleyball: No. 10 Whitehall avenged 2017 District and 2018 city championship losses to No. 7 Fruitport with a sweep in a Division 2 District opener – Local Sports Journal
2. Volleyball: Nicole Schember tied the MHSAA record for single-match assists with 70 in No. 6 Unionville-Sebewaing’s 3-1 win over Cass City in Division 3 – Huron Daily Tribune
3. Volleyball: Petoskey came back from two sets down and game point in the third to defeat Traverse City Central in Division 1 – Petoskey News-Review
4. Volleyball: Macomb Dakota came back from a two-set deficit to defeat Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse in five in Division 1 – Macomb Daily
5. Volleyball: Saginaw Valley League North champ Mount Pleasant fell in the first set to Bay City Western before coming back to win the next three in Division 1 – Mount Pleasant Morning Sun
6. Cross Country: Sturgis’ teams swept the St. Joseph County Invitational – Sturgis Journal
7. Volleyball: Marquette came back after dropping the first set to defeat Traverse City West in four – mqtathletics.com
8. Volleyball: After falling in the first set, Beaverton came back to win the next three and defeat Sanford Meridian in Division 3 – MI Sports Now
9. Volleyball: East Jordan took the final two sets of a comeback Division 3 win over Charlevoix – Petoskey News-Review
10. Volleyball: Mason swept rival Okemos in a Division 1 Regional opener – Lansing State Journal